Porting a Number
From VoIP.ms Wiki
Port a number
Porting a number is the process of transfer a number from one provider to another. If you are a VoIP.ms customer and have an existing number with a different provider you can optionally bring it (port it in) to VoIP.ms network. Toll free numbers, local USA/Canada and even International numbers can be ported to VoIP.ms.
Our LNP (Local Number Portability) Department handles the porting process and guides the customer through it. They are also in charge of updating the customer via email with any relevant information about the port every time there is a change of the port request status. (Such as when the information has been submitted to the carrier, when a porting date -known as FOC- has been received, when the port has completed, etc)
As of today, we can port numbers to our network from the following countries:
For Geographical numbers:
Australia, Brazil, Canada ($8.75 USD/number), Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Poland, Puerto Rico, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom ($30 USD/number), United States (Free for limited time)
For Toll Free numbers:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada ($8.75 USD/number), Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Panama, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States (Free for limited time)
For Fax numbers:
Canada & United States. $15 USD/Number, Tollfree Numbers cannot be currently ported in as Fax Numbers.
For National numbers:
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Panama, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom
Important: Numbers from these countries can be ported to our network even if we don't offer DID numbers from those countries. If you wish to verify the portability of an International number please contact our LNP staff and provide the Country code, Area code and phone number, it is important to also mention if the number is a National, Geographical or Toll-Free number.
For more information about prices you can contact VoIP.ms staff, since the rate can vary depending on the country your number belongs to.
Not all numbers from a specific country can be ported in. The most important factor to find out if a number is portable or not is the number´s city (also called ratecenter). In your customer portal, refer to DID Numbers section, you will find a link for DID Portability. In this link you can verify if your number is portable to our network, just click on the link that says "Check availability".
Important: For Canadian Numbers there is a one time fee of $8.75 USD per number in order to port to our network, the process can take from 1-4 weeks, for US Numbers is Free (For limited time) and it takes from 2-4 weeks for Toll Free Canadian Carrier the fee is $8.75 per number, Free for American Carrier (For limited time) and it takes from 2-4 weeks.
Once you have verified your number can be ported, on the same link (DID Portability) click on "Start procedure" you will be presented with a process of 6 steps to initiate the port of your number.
- Important: Make sure you have a scan of your latest invoice/statement in PDF, MS Word or as an Image file, SIGNED on a blank part.
- Do not sign it over any lines or graphics.
After following all the steps in the process and confirmed your order, you will receive an email notification from our LNP Department, that will guide you during the entire process and provide all the necessary updates. If any additional information is required they will contact you, so you can be informed all the time.
Here you can find a detailed explanation of each step you have to follow in order to start a port request:
If there is a problem with your porting process, the LNP department will notify you via email on the following steps to take to address this problem. You can read more about port rejections and the most common reasons here, Port Rejection.
Important Notes to Remember
Some important requirements you need to know before starting a port request:
- We are not responsible for any Port Out Fee your carrier may charge when leaving them, as it is beyond our control. Prior to starting a porting order with us, please contact the losing carrier and ask them about any port out fee they may charge you.
- Make sure to provide the exact information as it is on the losing carrier's Customer Service Record. This is usually your Service Address. Please note that the service address CAN be different from your billing address. Billing addresses will usually get rejected if it's not the same as your Service Address. If you are not sure of what is the correct service information, please contact your current service provider to obtain the Customer Service Record before proceeding.
- During a regular porting process your number must be working with the losing provider, which means you need to also make sure your number is active and not scheduled for cancellation, until the port gets completed. Disconnected numbers are not portable.
- If you decide to port in your number, you will have to make sure that your balance covers the porting fee. Otherwise, our system won't allow you to start the process until the balance is in a positive standing.
- It is the customer's responsibility to contact the losing provider after the number has been completely ported to VoIP.ms in order to have the number and/or other services disconnected from them.
- It is important to remember that, if the initial request comes back rejected due to needing additional information or some error, the process time starts again after it has been resubmitted.
- Once you receive a FOC, for a number being ported, that number is now treated as if it´s already on our network. The Number will show in your available DID list and you can configure it. You must configure the DID to be able to reach it via the VOIP.ms network.
Canadian and USA numbers are activated on per minute plan once ported. If you would rather have it activated on flat rate, please mention it in the Notes/Comments field, on the step 5 of the port request.